06 December 2022

How does time do that?

I'm not sure if you noticed, but it is December. Almost a week into December, in fact. If time is not linear, can I circle back and have a redo on some parts of it??? It's been a busy few months, to be sure. I have been up and down to the Seattle area quite a few times since the wee one was born. I've also been busy with house and yard stuff but those weren't interesting projects. I had to hire someone to prune 'the giant shrub' in the back yard. It's at least 20 feet tall and way beyond my reach, same with the giant rhododendron in the front. As my mom used to say, 'If it grows at all here, it'll grow like a champ.' 

 Did I tell you that my best neighbors moved? Broke my poor heart to lose them. Donna had just reached her limit with the bs here in this country. She worked in the public school system and said, 'I don't want to teach active shooter drills to kindergarteners.' Can't blame her, really. The gun epidemic is frightening. So, they moved back to Canada. Not to Edmonton, where the husband was from and where they lived before. Now they live in Kelowna. I'm happy for them that they are loving it, but I miss them terribly and my life has gotten a lot smaller without the frequent social interaction. I had their little charmer of a dog for nearly four months while they were house hunting. He was great company. But, alas, they came back and picked him up and stole him away from me. I am without a pet for the first time in my life. Feels strange, to be honest. The upside is that I don't have to have a pet sitter when I go out of town. Not sure it's a great trade off though. 

 I completed another NaNoWriMo in November. Wrote a mystery this time. It's not great, but I've tried before and struggled with the plotting. It's not always Colonel Mustard in the Library with the Candlestick! I got to the finish line though, which pleased me. I did, however, leave my characters stranded at the end. Perhaps I'll go back and give them the decent conclusion that they deserve. 

 Debra, She Who Seeks, and the 8th Day Planner have reminded me that I could put the seasonal decorations up. I need to haul the ladder out to the front porch and sort out the sparkle lights - some strings are dead and new ones are needed. Maybe even put up the tree and decoration... if I feel so moved. Sometimes it doesn't feel worth the bother. 

Here are some pics of the giant shrub. It's a mock orange - Philadelphus lewisii.
Before and After. Donna for scale. Lol. 

The youngster is doing well. She's on the small side (except for her head!) but seems to be meeting developmental milestones. She is a cheerful baby and makes us all so happy. Not that she doesn't have her moments, I mean, she's human after all. But, she is amazing and her parents (and the whole family) are all smitten. Here is a current picture of the little darling. Love!



5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

OMG, that giant shrub! I can see why you would not attempt trimming it yourself. Sorry your neighbours moved back to Canada, although I understand their reasons. Kelowna is a real boom town at the moment apparently so I'm not surprised it took 4 months to find a house to buy. Nice place, Kelowna, but hellishly hot in the summer. Too hot for me! The Wee One is tooooooooooo cute! I'm sure you want to spend as much time with her as possible!

8thday said...

Damn, I am sorry about Donna moving. Good neighbors are hard to find these days. Great neighbors who are also friends? Well, that is a huge loss indeed. And Angus? Too much loss.

Holy moly, that is a big bush! In the 'after' picture it looks a lot skinnier but just as tall. Would love to see a picture when it's back in bloom. We are getting estimates to have all our front foundation plantings replaced with low maintenance plants. Time is definitely impacting both the plants and my body's ability to care for them.

I find it funny that a writer would/could leave a mystery unfinished. I think it would drive me a bit batty not to know what happens to them.

Your granddaughter is adorable! And yes, I am still jealous of her hair : )

e said...

Debra - Donna loves hot weather (weirdo!) so summer won't be too much of a problem. She is less enamored of the cold and snow, but she knew what she was choosing. The Wee One and her siren call... I'm pretty sure I've been up to their place every month.

8thday - The big shrub probably won't set blossoms next spring, or only at the very top. Same with the lilacs which got a similar treatment. Also, while I didn't finish writing the ending of the mystery, I certainly know what happened! It's all rattling around in my head; I just need to put my fingers to the keyboard and let it out. (Zoe actually brushes the baby's hair, just not for this picture. Lol)

Middle Girl said...

Bummer about your neighbors/friends.
Cutie pie baby. Yeah, when she calls, go.
What. A. Bush.

Linda d said...

One of the reasons we feel so lucky is to have found a house with great neighbors. Almost everyone is nice and a few are wonderful. We choose to barely tolerate the loud mouth racist, as does the rest of the neighborhood.

So sorry you lost yours. Good neighbors are hard to replace.

Congrats on that lil cutie. So glad she is healthy and happy.