25 November 2019

Nearly Thanksgiving

Hello!

It's November and you know what that means -  National Novel Writing Month! 
I surprised myself by finishing early this year.  Over 50k words written by 21 November.  It's definitely my fastest finish yet.  This year I wrote a story that takes place after the floods created by climate change.  It is set in the region where I live, which will all be underwater in 100 years.  The Willamette Valley will be the Willamette Sea, that sort of thing.  There are a lot of 'flood maps' available on line if you are interested in looking things up. 

Meanwhile, back on land, we are getting closer to winter and it is getting quite chilly around here.  There is a threat of snow in the forecast but it's unlikely to materialize.  A snowy Turkey Day will have Portlanders in a panic!  Good for our mountains, though.  We need the moisture, in any form.

Holiday Plans: As I have done for the previous several years, I will be making a small dinner for my dad and my brother on Thursday.  I think they enjoy it, I hope so.  Then, I will be taking a short trip North to have a second (and probably more festive) Thanksgiving with my daughter and her husband on the weekend.  I'll be counting my blessings on both occasions.

I went out with T this last weekend for dinner and a dance.  Her birthday coincided with a lesbian dance that's held once or twice a month.  She's actively looking for a new girlfriend.  She hasn't had any luck with the long distance option, so she's looking locally.  She didn't get any phone numbers this time, but I hope she finds someone nice.

Did I already tell you about this?  A friend of mine from high school (!) has moved to Portland and he is an enthusiastic appreciator of live music.  I have gone out with him several times to hear a variety of music.  So far, the clear winners are a blue grass band and a Monday night jazz jam session.  There is no way I would be doing this if I were still working - most of these shindigs don't get started until 8 or 9 pm.  I'm not a night owl by any stretch, but I do force myself to go occasionally.  I think Ken goes out several times a week but I can only manage it once every couple of weeks.  Still, it's been fun.  He's an interesting guy and makes friends easily so he's often got an entourage with him. 

Do you remember that I made a braided denim rug last winter?  It turned out great, by the way, and Pierre has not been too bad with the claw sharpening.  My neighbor loved it so much that I told her I would make her one this winter.  She's been collecting jeans all summer and now my living room looks like a denim factory.  I've got the jeans all sorted by color (shades of blue) and the new rug is coming along.  I'm making it slightly larger than the one I made myself.  I have discovered that I like having a project to work on while I'm watching reruns of the baking show.  Lol.  (I watch other stuff too, but that is like my background music.)

Well, I'd better get out there and rake again.  The deciduous trees are almost done dropping their leaves.  My shoulder is feeling it! 



4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hey, good work on NaNoWriMo! Clearly you are a serious writer. Have you published any of your work, or do you write fanfiction at all?

You're keeping nice and busy with outings. Have fun with that new rug -- it sounds like it will be great when done.

Middle Girl said...

Congratulations on NaNoWriMo! Happy Thanksgivings. Cheers to T. So fabulous to have an old friend to pal around and go on music adventures with and having a project to keep hands busy.



8thday said...

I love that I can now picture all this!

I often think of your denim rug as my cats slowly destroy the braided rug in our bathroom. Lucky neighbor to have you as a friend.

I hope all your Thanksgiving plans go smoothly - especially the weather. I am so glad you will get to spend it with both generations!

Secret Agent Woman said...

That's great n the writing. And also the live music - I love going out to hear music.