25 February 2021

2021 - Or, So What?

 So, here we are, late in February 2021.  Looks a lot like the previous half year or so.  Well, more people are wearing masks, so that's a good thing.  Some of us are double masking.  Still some idiots who won't wear one.  I wish that damned virus was more selective.

In weather news, we survived that damned storm.  We had snow and ice in alternating layers.  Snow is fine.  Ice is not.  While it's not Texas, we lost power in many parts of my city.  Mine was out for two nights.  My dad and brother also had outages and spent one night here at my house.  I was so glad that I have a gas stove!  There were multiple cups of hot tea, lol.  Some rural parts of the greater metro area  are still without power.

Temperatures are warming, though.  I saw some daffodils starting to come out in a neighbor's yard.  I found the first violet in my yard as I was cleaning up fallen tree branches.  A sign of spring, most welcome.  We've had a lot of rain since the snow/ice storm but there are some sunny days in the forecast.  Good, I'm ready for a little natural vitamin D.

In other news, I managed to get my 85 year old father an appointment for his first covid vaccine.  Hallelujah!  It was no small feat, let me tell you.  Hours spent online and on the phone over multiple days.  It is incredibly difficult.  I don't see how the elderly can be expected to work their way through the (lack of a) system.  My dad wouldn't have been able to do it, not by a long shot.  Even my brother (who is younger than I am) would not have been able.  But, it's done.  And the second dose was scheduled when he received the first, so that's good.  I don't expect to be eligible for one until April or May unless supply ramps up considerably.  How about you all?  Have you been vaccinated or at least been able to make an appointment?

My friend Lisa is fully vaccinated and I am very grateful for that.  She was far too vulnerable.  She said that she really feels like a weight of fear has been lifted.  She is still being very cautious, of course, but now feels like it is ok to go to the grocery store (masked) instead of getting everything delivered.  

In more mundane news, T has found a new girlfriend.  I think this one might be good!  She lives in Oregon, which is a relief as they can drive to see each other on the weekends.  She is gainfully employed, a big plus.  So far it doesn't seem like she has a lot of baggage.  I haven't met her yet but I am very hopeful.  T is happy and that's the best thing.  Also, she has stopped calling me every morning and that is the second best thing.  Lol.

As someone who craves solitude, the pandemic has perhaps been easier for me than others.  But I am growing restless.  I want to visit my daughter, or have her visit me.  I want to see my friends, and hug them.  I want to go out for a burger and tots with my neighbor.  I want to take a road trip to see my cousins.  I love my house, my yard, my neighborhood but... I am ready to see something else.  Some days the depression takes hold and I can't even read a book.  I can't even play solitaire on my phone.  I just sit and stare out the window and try not to think.  Ugh.  Those days are dark.  I know that I should get up and take a walk when I feel like that, but nothing could be harder.  Still, the daylight increases and, Goddess willing, my mood will lighten.  

In a moment of hopefulness, I bought a day-use parking pass to the Oregon State Park system.  When this drenching rain lets up, I will force myself to go outside and hike (or at least walk!) in this beautiful place I call home.  If the weather reporters are right, that could be next week.  Fingers crossed!

Stay strong, women!  Someday this epoch will end.



4 comments:

8thday said...

I have been waiting for your "the daffodils are coming" post! We finally got 2 days in a row above freezing and for the first time in several months can see a bit of bare ground peeking from under trees. It will be a bit longer before all the snow melts and we can start some real yard cleanup.

With all the news about Texas I didn't even realize that Oregon was suffering blackouts too. So sorry for you all but happy that you have weathered the cold. We have been looking into getting a generator but with all the storms, companies can't even get one until maybe autumn. And prices are now outrageous.

Both Martha and Beaner got their shots early, without any problems - arranged through their employers. I lucked out and managed to fill a cancellation due to a snow storm. I get my second shot next week. We are the lucky ones - one person wrote that getting an appointment was like the Hunger Games.

Like you, I am starting to go a little stir crazy but the warmer weather will help and our area Covid numbers are so low that Martha and I actually went to a restaurant last week. I do think we are inching toward getting beck to normal.

Fingers crossed!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Glad your father and Lisa both have their shots! With luck, I may be able to get mine in April or so, I estimate. And good luck to T with her new girlfriend. Gainfully employed is always a plus.

Middle Girl said...

I'm glad to read you are surviving / have survived the gloominess that is winter and relative hibernation due to the pandemic.

Cheers to navigating the vaccination waters toward getting your dad his appointments.

My state just opened another tier of eligibility--this one, I fill the bill. So, I'm on a list. May the games begin!

Signs of Spring! Yes!!

Secret Agent Woman said...

My daffodils have sprouted but not bloomed yet. It's almost here.

I have been vaccinated because I'm a health care provider, as has my husband. It has eased my fear only a little, and I still double-mask and have no plans to go into restaurants or crowded stores.