01 October 2021

Progress Report

 Things are going well down here in SoCal.  Lisa continues to heal.  She is gaining in mobility and oxygen capacity.  She's moving better.  Her kidney is working like a champ.  Dialysis is very hard on the body so there is a long recovery period from that in addition to the recovery from major surgery.  

We are now back in Long Beach.  Her in-person appointments have decreased from four per week to just one.  We will drive down to San Diego on Monday, stop at the lab for a blood draw and urine test, and then wait several hours for the clinic appointment.  After that, it's back to the LBC.  I will driver her down two times and then she'll be on her own.  Fingers crossed!  Actually, she might enlist the help of her neighbor for a while.  The hard part is that she can't eat before the blood draw.  A two hour drive on an empty stomach first thing in the morning (or longer, depending on traffic), is not something to look forward to with delight.  Still, it beats living in a hotel.

I'll be returning home on the 12th.  I cannot wait!  I don't like being away from home for long periods of time (especially this long!)  And, honestly, no matter how great the friendship, 6 weeks makes it wear thin.  We've had a small handful of spats but gotten over them quickly.  Still, for someone who lives alone and isn't the most social of individuals, it is taxing.  But, it's almost over.  I can see the finish line from here.  Wish me luck!


3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You've gone above and beyond for your friend Lisa! Glad she's steadily improving. Glad you'll soon be home. Better bring some extra-special treats to mollify Pierre!

8thday said...

Six weeks sharing a hotel room would tax any relationship. I'm sure Lisa, despite the small spats, really appreciates it. As I'm sure Pierre will appreciate his mama coming home.

I look forward to reading about your future vacations together when Lisa is not tied to dialysis.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Six weeks in a room with even the best friend is brutal if you ask me. I'm glad she is nearing the end of needing someone with her and also glad you will soon be home.