29 October 2021

Ten

 It's been ten years since my mom died.  Here's what I texted to my immediate family:

Today is the ten year anniversary of the death of our beloved matriarch.

First of all: I can't believe it's been that long.

Second: ten years has not dulled the pain of that loss. 

Third: I am grateful to have had her as long as I did.

Fourth: I know I don't grieve alone.

I made an apple cake this morning.  I'm going to take a chunk over to Grampy and Walter later.  I'm not sure if they are marking the occasion but I am.  I need a little bit of acknowledgement of our profound loss.  Not sure I'll get it from them. But, in my heart, we are all united in singing her praises, telling funny stories, and keeping alive her memory. But that's just in my heart. Mostly likely I'll be celebrating her on my own. But, I WILL celebrate the amazing person that was my mother.

(Steps off soapbox)

Xoxox  xoxox  xoxox'

#

To their everlasting credit, they all responded to my text immediately.  It's true that I don't suffer her loss alone.  We all feel it.  We all mourn her.  I guess there is a comfort in being able to share a memory of someone dear with a person who knew them.  Some kind of shared spark of memory.  A connection.

Ok, well, I'm going to get ready to go to my dad's.  See ya!


4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hugs to you today. I'm glad other family members helped mark the occasion and shared your commemoration.

8thday said...

I just read a definition of grief that said something like:

"Grief is just love that no longer has a place to go."



Sending lots of virtual hugs to you and yours. XOXOX

Secret Agent Woman said...

Do you ever get over losing someone you love? One of my little brothers drowned 20 years ago and I still grieve him.

Middle Girl said...

Love and hugs to you.

Love 8s grief definition.