23 September 2020

Home and Away

 Hello Women,

I was home for a couple of weeks but now I'm back in SoCal.  Lisa is getting better but still not able to manage some daily living tasks.  I devoutly hope that she recovers enough in the next 3 weeks that I will be able to go home and not turn right back around.  

While I was home, we had a very scary interlude with forest fire.  Ugh, the city was filled with acrid smoke that stuck around for far too long.  The fires were too close for comfort.  My cousin's daughter, son-in-law, three kids, two dogs and a cat were evacuated and moved in with the cousin.  Nice that they had a place to go but scary!

My poor state and beautiful forests!  So much destruction, so much death and despair.  Some people have lost everything and we have all lost a precious treasure.  Same story in California.  It's horrible.  

Oregon is getting some rain, which is so desperately needed.  California hasn't gotten a drop. It all feels so dire.  But, the whole country, indeed, the whole world, feels so dire right now.  This downward slide is getting steeper.  Is this how it all ends?  In firestorms and flooding, under the control of dictators and fascists?  What a terrible thought.

I'm struggling to find the good these days.  My country is a toxic mess.  The pandemic runs rampant here, virtually unrestrained.  I won't mention politics because ... it's beyond bad.  I'm sorry that this sounds depressing.  It is depressing.

I guess I'll just have to consider myself lucky to be able to spend time with my lifelong pal.  No, it's not quality time, but it's a lot of hanging out together and I'll count that as a plus.



5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I feel bad for all Americans these days. I hope in November you get your country back under some kind of sane control. Sending you hugs and best wishes in the meantime! You are a good friend indeed to Lisa in her time of need.

35jupe said...


It feels awful doesn't it? The fires are getting to me, I'll be honest. Both Oregon and California, where I am, are in my heart and we are both going through it. I've lived through a few fires, as anyone in the southwest/west/pnw has but these are more extreme. And it's awful.

I don't really think this is how it ends. It just feels that way. I suspect it felt like that to the people living through the flu epidemic in the 19-tens as well. But then it ended and they had the roaring 20s and I have my suspicions that we may do the same. (I can easily imagine that history repeating itself as well.) So prepare yourself to write "hey sardine, here's your tin" on your car. I'm hoping November turns us around. Right now we have the tail wagging the dog, as this isn't what most of us wanted. And I think we will make that very clear.

Is there anything I can do to make your time here better? You're probably somewhere near me. (Obviously this pandemic is messing with everything but still.) And nice to see you again. :)

8thday said...

I start and end every day on the 'good news network' just to remind myself that there are still so many good things and people in this world. Like you! And waterfalls. And Salt & Straw ice cream. And all our furry friends. I do believe that the pendulum is about to swing back to better, more just times and I am doing my part to insure that Happy Days will be Here Again.

I am so happy to read that Lisa is doing better. Positive thoughts are flowing into the universe that her recovery continue.



e said...

Thanks for the positive energy and encouraging words, friends. You've lightened my spirit and I am working to keep the ol' chin firmly in the upright position. Cheers, m'dears.

Middle Girl said...

Add me among those striving to be positive and to share positive vibes.

May Lisa's recovery continue!