04 March 2024

The Long Year

 RIP Dad.

He slipped away when both my brother and I were there with him.  

The last couple of weeks were a steep decline.  He was down to one word responses when asked a question, and not very often at that.  He spent a lot of time in bed.  At the end, he died in the same spot that our mother did - he had taken over her side of the bed a while ago.

I left a window cracked open when it was obvious that he was near the end.  And I opened it wide when he died, so that his soul could escape the back bedroom of the house.  I like to think that he has reached the Summerlands and is strolling hand in hand with my mother.  

The long year of daily care has come to an end.  

###

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

My condolences, e, to you and your brother. I'm glad your father's transition was peaceful and natural, with his children there. You did him such a tremendous service by being his caregivers so he could decline and pass away at home and not in a nursing home. I know that came at great sacrifice to you for the past year.

I hope you are able to do fun and relaxing things this Spring and Summer as you reclaim your time and agenda. Maybe take that postponed road trip? Visit and play with the grandbaby? Whatever you do, enjoy life!

Middle Girl said...

My condolences to you and your family.

Take gentle care.

8thday said...

I can think of no words adequate to help with the hole in your heart. I do hope that the thoughts and images of your parents reunited give you some comfort.

I am so glad I got to meet your dad. The old blog pictures of you and your daughter and him at Mariners game make me smile. But mostly I remember that big bag of M&Ms on his kitchen counter. He was my kind of guy : )

So much love being sent to you and yours.