29 October 2018

What the Hell with Everything?

The world has gone off the rails.  This country especially, but really the contagion is spreading far and wide.  What a distressing time we are living through.

In my personal world, there has been one bad thing after another.  Some things are small, such as my favorite fabric store closing, and some things are profound - the death of a 14 year old friend from MRSA.  These overlie the national and international news that becomes more bleak by the day.

I was talking to a friend a few days ago and she said, 'I got to watch the news for 8 years while Obama was in office but not anymore.'  Yes, it's true, some of us can't stomach the nightly toll of hate and insanity.

What's a Pollyanna to do?  I just can't put a positive spin on any of it. 


5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, everything is just too, too depressing right now. I find myself watching the news less and less in a desperate attempt not to O.D. on bleakness.

8thday said...

I read this last night and tried to come up with some positive elixir to this madness but I got nothing. Sorry.

My strategies to stay out of the dark hole are that I read the headlines to be informed but never read the gory details. I only watch the local news which is filled with community events and pets for adoption. I take lots of walks with my dog and get outside as much as possible. I keep fresh flowers in the house and try to do at least one nice thing for somebody everyday. I smile at everyone I meet. It all helps to keep me semi-sane in this time of insanity.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. {{{hugs}}}

But to end on a positive note - I have a great quilting store just up the road from me. Come visit!!!

Jean Jennings said...

I too have quit immersing myself in the news of the day. It's become sadly predictable and I'm no longer surprised at any of the craziness. So I cling to one thing - everything cycles. Every.Single.Thing. This is where we are right now but I really, truly feel like we've hit the apex of the arc and are coming back. People are woke. And come see me, too. We'll figure this out.

Secret Agent Woman said...

14. Oh, that's brutal. I'm so sorry.

I can't stomach the news anymore.

Middle Girl said...

I've been a horrible blogger, blogging and responding---especially responding.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend and the other (not so grand) bad things happening in your world. I'm so sorry for the overall state of our country and the world at large.

I'm trying to find many slivers of hope. May we cycle back to better (if not outright GOOD) soon-ish!