22 December 2018

Happy Solstice and a Winter Update

Hello Friends!

Blessings to you and yours at the turn of the season.  Here's my tiny bonfire from yesterday afternoon.


We had a break in the rain for a few hours so I took advantage of it.  I used some wood scraps from inside the shed and a couple of chunks of mostly dry 2x4.  It wasn't truly a bonfire, more of a bonflicker.  Still, I participated in calling back the sun and that was satisfying.

Here's the project I've been working on in the evenings.  It's a braided denim rug.  When T moved out she left a LOT of her stuff behind.  That included about 30 pairs of jeans that either no longer fit or she simply didn't want anymore.  I told her that I was going to cut them up to make a rug* and that if she wanted any of them she should come over and get them.  She took about 3 pairs for herself and 3 or 4 for her brother.  I gave the neighbor 3 pairs that were simply too good to cut up.  Then I got started.


This was in late October.  Here's the progress I made through late November.  Of course, anything in the house belongs to the cat.  Pierre likes it so far.



At this point, I ran out of jeans.  I used all of T's that were usable and several of mine that were either too big or too small.  Then I went to the Bins.  Do you have this in your town?  Here, it's the last stop shop of the Goodwill.  Stuff that doesn't sell at other stores gets shipped to a warehouse and dumped into shallow, wheeled bins.  You can pick through to your heart's content.  Everything is sold by the pound.  (I think some things just get donated there because I saw plenty of good stuff that could have sold in the regular shops.)  I bought 12 - 15 more pairs of jeans for $1.29 a pound.  Here is my progress since then.


It's now far too big for the coffee table so I put a large cardboard box on the table and my fabric cutting board on top of that.  It's actually too big for that arrangement as well, so I have to fold it in half to work on it.  I think it will be done before Winter is over, lol.  I am a little worried though.  The last time I put it on the floor Pierre started sharpening his claws on it.  Damn cat!  I might have to put it in the guest room instead of the living room.

So, that's what I have been up to, how about you?  Staying busy?  Staying warm and dry?  I'm sending you all best wishes for a peaceful and healthy holiday and New Year. 

Cheers!

ps: I've left out all the shitty stuff because, ugh. 

*This is funny: when I told her I was going to make a rug she asked, 'For me?'  I laughed and replied, 'No, you have carpeting!  I have cold hardwood floors!  It's for me.'


4 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

What a great use of old jeans!

I welcomed in the light last night at a Solstice party - I eagerly await the days starting to actually feel longer.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That is an AWESOME rug! And what a great way to recycle old jeans. Thanks for calling back the light yesterday -- I'm sure it only returned because of your bonflicker!

Middle Girl said...

I love the rug and especially repurposing old jeans. I don't think we have a Goodwill warehouse or anything like it. What a neat concept.

Here's to more daylight hours.

8thday said...

That is an awesome rug!!! How big is it going to get? Of course I can't help but think that you are now walking all over T : )

We have a couple of (store bought) braided rugs and the cats love unraveling them. I am forever mending them. Such is life with cats.

I'm just on the other side of your computer if you feel like sharing the "ugh"