23 June 2009

About sinks....

I’m taking a page from Weese’s book ~ a post about cleaning.

First, in the interest of full disclosure, I am not a neatnik. We don’t live in squalor, but we can tolerate a fairly high level of disorder and dust. That being said, there are certain things that I can’t stand to have dirty. One of them is the sink.

The sink is surely the easiest thing to clean. I can never understand how people have dirty sinks. The water comes in and goes out right there… you don’t have to carry water to it, or go get fresh rinse water, or be bothered with buckets, or anything! All it takes is a sponge, some product and a little bit of rubbing. How easy is that!?

Our dishwasher broke down a couple of weeks ago, so I have been spending more quality time at the sink. After I wash the dishes (glasses, mugs, bowls, plates, silverware, pots and pans, in that order) I always scour the sink. Always. It is so easy! Your hands are already wet, the sponge is at the ready, just reach down under the sink, grab the Ajax (or cleaner of choice) sprinkle freely and start rubbing. Then a thorough rinse and voila! Shiny, clean, sanitary sink. Don’t forget the stopper and the drain area!

I house-sat for some friends once and while their house was clean, their sink was stained and nasty. The first thing I did was scrub it out. The product they used didn’t take all the stains out so I used a little bleach. Which, by the way, is good for cleaning the sponge anyway. When they got home they exclaimed over how clean the sink was. Yes, exclaimed! Asked me how I performed this miraculous transformation. I told the truth ~ scoured it and used a little bleach.

One last thing: I switched from Comet to Ajax about 25 years ago. We moved into a little rundown house and the people who were vacating were not yet completely out. I was out of Comet and when I went to the little corner store all they had was Ajax. I cleaned the sink (one of the first things I do in a new house) and it took out all of the stains. When the gal who was moving noticed the sink she asked what I used because she had been trying to get one particular stain out for a long time and she always used Comet. There you have it. My unsolicited testimonial for Ajax.

If you find cleaning or writing about cleaning boring or odious ~ my apologies. I’ll think of something more interesting next time.

3 comments:

8thday said...

Fortunately for me, my partner does all the cleaning. I am one lucky woman.

weese said...

I could not agree more!

I have actually started using Bon-Ami. I was also a comet user but wanted to get away from bleach products ...i still use bleach i just like to control my usage.

e said...

Weese ~ I have cut way back on the bleach too, but sometimes it is necessary. And, a faint whiff of bleach in the house pleases me... it just smells clean!