08 November 2011

A brief sketch of my parents

I wrote this down back in 1992 or 1993.  My daughter and I were living with my parents at the time in a lovely, large house in Portland.  Some friends of the family had just left after a weekend visit.

We are sitting on the front porch, Mum, Dad and me, discussing which friends and relatives of Janet and Al they had met.

Dad: "I'm thinking of that tall Russian or Slavic fellow who cooked."
Mum: "No, no.  That was Michael.  He wasn't really Russian, he just pretended to be."
Dad: "Well, he sure could cook.  I think he was queer."
Mum: "He wasn't queer - just swishy and posing.  He and I had a good hoohaw about French reductionism."

At this point I start laughing.  "What's so funny about that?" asks Mum, tolerantly amused.
"The idea of having a good hoohaw about French reductionism with bogus Russian queers is giving me a good hoohaw.  French reductionism!" says I.

We return to the discussion of other people's relatives.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I adore these beautiful memories of silly moments. Thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

LMAO... that's hysterical. We passed by that house. Yes, very large and lovely (if that's the one you told us about).

8thday said...

How wonderful it is to be able to hold onto memories that make us smile. Helps keep them alive in our hearts.

Much love my friend.

Middle Girl said...

LOL.. oh, I needed this today. Yesterday, even. Fantastic memory marker.

GrumpyGranny said...

That's funny. And sweet. Glad you wrote it down.

Anonymous said...

omg, thank you for sharing. just lovely in all its silly glory!

Maria said...

I went on to a Lily Tomlin concert last night and she did this incredibly funny riff on how a parent's conversation about cake could make a teenaged daughter feel as though she were losing her mind.

I have similar moments of conversations remembered.....