10 July 2013

The Good, The Bad and The Early

The busy season at my work is slowly tapering off.  Thank goodness, because I am tired!  One of my team members was out most of the critical two weeks (last week of June, first week of July) and I had to step in and do some big chunks of her job.  For part of her work assignment she needs to arrive before 7:00 am.  In her case, that’s no problem – in fact, she prefers the early shift.  For me, not so much.

I used to work early rather than late.  I typically arrived around 7am and left around 3:30 or 4pm.  I did that for many years.  And, as an early riser, it wasn’t a big deal.  There’s a lot to be said for the early shift, especially having time after work to actually get stuff done rather than just come home and eat dinner and go to bed.

But, when my mom was dying, I switched up my work schedule.  I spent the mornings with her which allowed my dad to take a long nap and run errands.  I was going to work around 12:30 or 1:00 pm and working until 8 or 9 in the evening.  At least, some of the time I stayed that late.  Plenty of days I was just too exhausted, physically, mentally and emotionally, to stay that late.

Something about that whole summer and fall changed my internal clock.  Something that drove me to stay on schedule and on track just broke. 

Since then, I arrive at work anywhere from 8:30 to 10:30 in the morning and stay, usually, until 6:00 or 7:00 in the evening.  My coworkers are used to it and my bosses don’t care, so I just come in when I feel like it and leave when I’ve had enough. 

So, the past couple of weeks have been a reminder of what the early shift feels like.  Tiring!  I’ve also noticed the differences in the commute.  Both the bike commute and the bus commute are different at those early hours.  The bus is crowded!  I mean, sardine can crowded.  7:00 to 3:00 is a very typical hospital shift and there are a multitude of us here.  And the bike commute, wow.  So many rude and impatient riders at those early hours!  Of course, it doesn’t help when the Tour de France is going on.  We get all of these lunatics who think they will earn a yellow jersey or be King of the Mountain by racing down the streets and nearly knocking the rest of us aside.  Ugh.  And don’t get me started on their damned lycra biking outfits!  Bunch of horses asses out there…  so unnecessary.

But, the early morning is cool and lovely and I don’t give a fig if the racers all race by me.  I’m still out pedaling along at my fairly sedate pace and arriving to work cool and calm and not all sweaty and agitated.

This morning, however, my errant coworker is back and I sure as hell did not get up at the crack of dawn and show up to work early!  I rolled in around 8:30 and it felt pretty good.  Will it be hard to stay later this afternoon?  I don’t think so.  I like the later hours because after 4pm it’s nice and quiet and I get a lot more done without all of the interruptions.  It’s a trade off, but I think I’m getting the good end of the bargain.


Anonymous said...

Ah, I'm glad you get to go back on your true schedule. I am NOT a morning person. I used to work 11 to 7 and I also worked 4 to close and you name it. Anything but 7:00 am. I only want to see that coming from the other side. ;)

In my perfect world, I wake between 10 and 11, slowly get it together between then and 12. And go to sleep around 1 or 2. I'm not really in my perfect world at the moment, but those are the hours I like best.

I'm glad you are back to doing just your job!

8thday said...

I wish I could work different hours, but as a public servant I am expected to be available when the public expects me to be. Otherwise I would start at 6 am. I would certainly be more productive because I am most definitely a morning person. Although I can't really complain about 9 - 4:30.

I know what you mean about the attitude of people who share the road during commuting hours. Most folks give me a wide berth if they can, but then you have those strange ones who seem to want to teach me a lesson about making them slow down for a nano second. Yikes!

Anyway, glad to hear your busy season is tapering off because your blogging (and email)has been slacking off. Time to concentrate on much more important things - like keeping me informed on the life of e : )

Jean said...

Missed you! Being a farmer's daughter, I tend to be an early riser and enjoy the freshness and solitude of the morning before humanity (and the sun) mucks it all up.

Don't be a stranger, ok???

Maria said...

My office is similar to yours. Since we are a medical facility with three doctors, we make our own hours. My secretary has made no bones about the fact that she is an early riser and likes to get in about 6:30 or 7 and leave about 3 or so. I scheduled my appts around my daughter's school schedule and sports events, so my schedule is all over the place and my secretary resents it because when I'm here, she has to be too. Ideally, though...I like to come in around 8 and leave by 4. And yes, the traffic is hellish. I am not a morning person either....